Saturday, September 06, 2008

Life: My Old Days Reading

Like many people, I love reading. It is source of unlimited information and a way to keep me up-to-date and learn many things in my life. Different from many years ago, where computer and internet words not even born yet, nowadays most of things can be read in website and online publication.

My reading habits started with children magazine of my time. Then, I started reading newspaper as my father did. I did follow day-to-day news and quite knowledgeable of what happenings in the world.

Like other kids, I also like comics. But, I just read selectively, my favorites are Adventure of Tintin & Snowy (of course with Captain Haddock with his curses, genius but weird Professor Calculus, and the dumb & funny Thomson & Thompson), Smurf (with its funny sentences containing 'smurf'), Lucky Luck (he shoots faster than his shadow! and of course his funny horse Jolly Jumper), and Asterix & Obelix (with that nonsense drink that make them so powerful for a limited time). I only bought couple of them, the rest just borrow from friends... well, I came from simple family so not enough budget to buy things considered 'luxury' for me at that time. Wish I have such collection of those comics... it is still fun reading them.
I read in the news that Steven Spielberg is preparing to make a series of movies on Adventure of Tintin. Great... I'll watch it then.

For novel, I read Famous Five - story about 5 kids' exciting adventures - which is very popular that time, Agatha Christie's murder mistery novels (with its famous detective, Hercule Poirot - with his brilliant little grey-cells brain - who died in the last novel after he made himself a murderer to stop a smartest murderer), Sydney Sheldon's The Other Side of Midnight, and Alistair McLean's James-Bond-like adventure novel (e.g. Guns of Navarone, Nuclear in Carribean, etc.) where the lead character in his novel always experiencing die hard kind of experience. Most of the books, I borrowed from my school library.

I stop reading those books since high school, probably due to more and more study materials, especially during university time, and worse now because of internet and online publications. The only books that I read only computer related books that I borrowed from library. I didn't read novel anymore... would prefer watch them on TV, DVD, cinema, or online.

With virtually unlimited source of free information available online in internet, why should I bother buying a book or magazine or newspaper?

No comments: