Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Digital World: My Xiaomi Gadgets

Since it's international expansion about two years ago, Xiaomi has become one of the world well known smartphone manufacturer. It well design and built smartphones with much cheaper price from other established manufacturers, very well accepted in the market. The bad reputation of cheap China smartphone gets major fix by the existence of Xiaomi smartphones... a good quality smartphones not necessary expensive.

I was one of the customers that jump into the frenzy buying Xiaomi smartphones when it was officially sold online in Singapore. So excited waiting for the online buy launching of Redmi Note and so happy when be able to get it purchased which many others don't get it.

My first Xiaomi smartphone was 1st generation Redmi Note with dual SIMcard and only support 3G network. That time, tandem with my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 as my main smartphone, I use it only when travelling overseas and used local SIMcard which that time still majority in normal size. Then, when my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 got sudden death, I decided to replace it with Redmi Note 4G which support 4G network but only single SIMcard for the model sold internationally. After two years of usage, I still quite happy using them eventhough the limitation of 8GB internal storage starts kicking the roof, so quite limited apps can be installed and need regular maintenance to release some space or otherwise I not be able to do apps update. Lucky the latest MIUI provides good tools (App Name: Security, feature: Cleaner) to clear apps cache and temporary files, plus diligently move images and videos (from apps usually) from internal storage to micro sdcard, both smartphones still works fine, eventhough some performance lagging might happens which is quite normal since the build up of apps data, limited storage and RAM. Two next generations of Redmi Note already in the market (2 and 3), but I still OK using the current Redmi Notes for another year, maybe.

The second Xiaomi product that I purchased was Mi Powerbank 10000mAh, another excellent quality product with very cheap price. I can be used to charge my iPad Mini as well. 

The third product was MiBand, which I used it for about 1 year before the strap spoilt and I stop using it. Anyway, I got replacement when Singapore Steps Challenge provides free devices for early participants.

The fourth product was Yi Camera, another great product from Xiaomi. The quality of image and video not much different compare to GoPro with much much cheaper price. Very useful when travelling for documentation, to do selfie photos and videos, and more importantly recording timelapse of sunrise and sunset moments. The only annoying issue is sometimes the wifi connection to the camera very lagging when downloading the images/videos to smartphone. I always keep the firmware updated, but it still happens till now. Not a major issue for me though... 

The latest product that I purchased last week was Mi Powerbank 20000mAh, which is not as cheap as its lower capacity powerbank (in term of price/mAh ratio). I really need it as power backup for my MacBook during travelling. Not any powerbank can be used to charge MacBook which needs more powerful charging. This powerbank, using the provided charge cable plus its original MicroUSB - USB-C converter, works excellently charging my MacBook. According to Xiaomi, it should be able to charge the MacBook 1.2 times. Fair enough!

Eventhough lately Xiaomi starts facing tough competition from others china smartphone manufacturers, I still believe it will still exist many more years to come as long as it be able to persistently develop new innovated products with very affordable price.

Hmm... finally, what Xiaomi product will I buy next?? MiDrone probably... ha ha...

No comments: